Friday, September 29, 2006

Monk has left this world............


In college, I met up with a person that has turned out to be a life-long friend. While in college, her family embraced me as one of their own - to the point of when I walked in the door for one of our weekend visits - they would bypass Anner and come welcome me. The family always knew that when I was in town biscuits and gravy would be served for Sunday breakfast by Granny (no one has ever topped hers or Viola's gravy) - Monk, was Anner's dad and he gently passed away last night, the world has lost a genuine nice person. A sweet, ornery, stubborn cuss who I loved the minute I met him. He drank Black Label beer (yuck), made jewelry as a hobby and LOVED to give me trouble.


He never knew Anner taught me to drive a stick in his Ford pick-up truck, taking me on Missouri back-roads that if I made a wrong move I could easily plunge off the side of the road - he always threaten when we went to the bars he would be sittin' on the porch with a shot-gun to ensure No-One came home with us - he nevered followed through and the best was when had spent the weekend at the 'cabins' and were returning home, Anner and I worn out and hung over from a weekend of soaking in the sun, float trips, cards and of course beer were sleeping in the back of his pick-up truck on the way home - it had a cab over it, but the tail gate was down. We think he forgot we were back there, when we came out of our sleep haze we realized our feet were hanging off the back end of the truck's tailgate moving close to sliding out the back and driving through town -

He was a a wonderful soul, I will miss him! Take good care of him Lord.

No comments: