Thursday, March 22, 2007

Drama Llama rears its head....

Watch out it may get you too.....

Wednesday evening brought on some poker drama at the bar, 'ya see, we play games (gin rummy, euchre, more hold-em, russia poker) after we are off the regular game, there is sometimes $$ associated with these games. If caught, the bar would be in trouble, that whole illegal gambling thing and all. For this, no money is ever brought out while at the table, and no one is supposed to be seen exchanging money. This went well until what I understand about a month ago, the owner caught money on the table and declared no more card playing after the regular game, I was not there so the next time I was there, it was like nothing happened other than no gambling was being done, no problem, I am there for the cards and friends anyway.

Well, this evening we were not gambling we were playing cards. The owner had been unhappy of late of these after games, especially when a certain friend of ours was involved, well this evening he went ballistic, testosterone laden comments fell all around, people walking out, etc....and here we sit going (kinda embarrassed) - what brought this all on? We left and were all chatting out front, well out comes the guy that runs the league at this bar followed by the owner and then 2 bouncers, comments of suck something and the alike ensued. The owner, a little hothead anyway, muttering to himself thinking he took care of him....

And then it hit me, life a force, I had to say something, I had to force this little (place any word here) that as an owner of a bar, it maybe sometimes warranted to use this type of language and manner, but at that time it was very uncomfortable for all of us standing there. So what did I do, I called him out on it in a nice calm voice and explained to him as his customers we were not all aware of what brought any of this on and we didn't feel it was appropriate to treat us in this manner, especially since we are regulars to his establishment every Wednesday.

He had backup. Seeing me speak up, one of his bouncers decided to fluff himself behind the owner. I know what you are thinking, big strong me can take out a terrier of a man who routinely weight lifts and has arms the size of coffee cans, yeah that's right I'm bad. Well after noticing I am sorta giggling at this guy behind him, the owner whips around to see his bouncer all fluffed up and ready to take me down, he promptly told him to get inside...now that was fun watching big man on campus get scolded like a child and told to get to his room.

After talking more, I got what I wanted, an apology from the owner for how he treated the group of us when his concerns and issues was with one individual. I went home happy....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well at least you were feeling better on Wednesday, enough that you sound like your old self - (oops, talking to a female, maybe I'd better say "normal self"). We're going to see Granny this weekend and I'm taking the laptop. If I have time after doing her taxes, maybe I'll show her a couple of your blogs.

Love ya. "Uncle Bud"