Friday, April 14, 2006

Riding the Trains in Chicago..........


After starting the week getting the kids back in gear for school, I embarked on a 2-day training session in Chicago. For the quick trip I choose to stay with my parents and take the train downtown to the Loop. I have ridden the 'L' before, but these were actual trains.

Parking was a $1, once you figured out that the number above your slot was needed to pay for the spot - it took me a trip back to the car to figure out my slot number. I entered the train station, clean, few people, ticket booth and YEAH! a coffee shop. Purchased my roundtrip ticket for the day (8.60) and off to get a coffee.

The train came and the ride was nice, little slow, but nice. I passed by small communities I ran around in and noted they all had made pretty walks and parks around the train station. I wouldn't mind this too much. I was dropped off at Union Station and walked out with masses into the glaring sunlight, beautiful large buildings and the canal. It was a pleasant walk to my class.

On the way back to catch my train home I was sorta confused as to just which track I needed to be on when behind me came a voice, 'may I help?' - yes, I am looking for the train to Schaumburg....after a couple seconds she pointed it out, then proceeded to ask for money....I got handled, gave her a dollar. I was asked again the next day, but having been up on the scam, I politely declined.

The ride home was an 'express' and the first stop was mine - bonus! It took about 25 minutes off the trip. As people departed, their seatmates wished them a good evening, it was all very pleasant a trip. If I lived in Chicago again and worked downtown I would take serious consideration to take the train downtown, I really enjoyed the time to sit and read.

But, when I thought about my walk to the building and doing this in the rain, snow, wind or whatever Chicago throws your way weather wise - ummmm, not so much.....it was fun to play for a couple of days, but not everyday. If your in Chicago, try the trains.

No comments: