Thursday, August 17, 2006

School has Started!!!

Summer is Over-It's back to Studies!
This week started with the kiddies returning to school! Which for me means being 'on-time' getting out the house in the morning, making sure both girls are up and moving - have money, supplies, signed whatever and dealing with the traffic around the schools. Kelsey drives to school now, so she isn't much a worry. I take Alex which does cause for headaches. There are 3 schools in the same vicinitity that use 1 main intersection with stop signs. If I don't time my departure just right, I can be caught behind the busses leaving the HS and going over to the MS to drop off the kids there, if I am running real late, I catch them all returning to the bus garage. This wouldn't be a problem but there are a lot of busses and the school district has people stopping traffic on both ends to ensure they arrive on-time, it can be frustrating. When you do finally arrive at the MS, your first challenge is to make the left-hand turn into the parking lot, with the HS on your right and TONS of new teen drivers trying to make left-hand turns onto the road - it gets quite hairy, I have survived many near misses when they attempt to turn left after I have made my left - almost catching the butt end of my car. Finally I make my way to the 'drop-off' lane at the MS where we have been instructed to patiently await until we get close to the door and drop our children off. The outside lane is for people 'just driving through' as we have been told. As in all places, there are those that think they are special and must not follow the rules, they pull up in the outside lane, their child jumps into traffic from the 'drop-off' lane and proceeds to unload the entire contents of their house from the back causing all the rest of us in both lanes to wait - I am awaiting the day someone gets all over these people - I will let ya know. And after all this joyous start to the day, I get to battle construction and traffic for 32 miles up the road to my job. Don't 'ya all wish you started your day this way, I know 'ya do.

Alex so far likes all her classes, she for one of the first times has 2 of Kelsey's old teachers (who loved Kelsey) and when they past out books in Social Studies class she discovered she had gotten Kelsey's old book - maybe Kelsey made good notes for her. Kelsey doesn't like many of her classes, not for the subjects she is taking, well a couple, mainly because none of her friends are in her classes this year. I said that should be a good thing to allow her to pay attention better - for which I was told "she learns better when she has friends in the class", with straight A's last year, I couldn't really argue the point so we will see.

Soccer is now in full swing. Alex has practices Tues - Thurs with games on the weekends, Kelsey has practice after school everyday with most games during the week. Of course, the few games Kelsey will have on Saturday I have to be out of town with Alex, doesn't it always work that way. Kelsey played her first HS Varsity game last night, they beat them 1-0, which is always a good start to the season.

Whew! Made it through the summer, let's see what school season brings!

No comments: