Thursday, July 26, 2007

Whew! Another stressful day

Work is 24/7, my mind reeling with all the tasks needing to be accomplished, support to be given and engaging everyone of my skills to keep them all juggling. It does get tough at times. The two biggest items on my plate, Kelsey getting an endoscopy and moving the hosting servers for work. Both truly require my full attention.

Kelsey, if you have read previously was suspected have had ulcers, she was going in for an endoscopy to verify this and to what extent. Selfishly I was again putting work before my family and had been considering canceling and re-scheduling this because as life always likes intervene, the final move and her endoscopy fell on the same day. I am so glad I didn't. She was scheduled for early in the morning so it meant we had to be up and out to go downtown. Jarod wanted to go along and to my surprise, he was up and moving, a little sluggish. Kelsey understandably was scared, but overall was a true trooper. I got to participate along with her in tasting the nasty medicine she had to hold in her throat for numbing (I tasted it, its truly nasty). Off I went to wait with Jarod. I don't know how long had past and they came and got us. She was in recovering, drowsy from the meds and just as silly as could be. The Dr. came in and let us know what was going on, not good but manageable. Poor girl had been suffering with a small intestine & 3 stomach ulcers along with an inflamed esophagus. The plan of action, medicine and absolutely NO, NO ibuprofen and aspirin, this was the probably the root cause of her troubles. I feel responsible for this, both girls use ibuprofen on a regular basis for their various sports related injuries and bruises. Ice and ibuprofen was my usual response for first level of treatment. This ain't all bad, but not good on a regular basis especially when taken on empty stomachs. Learn and live. Tylenol is safest on your innards just in case you wanted to know.

As she was getting awake enough to get her moving, she realized she was hungry, still being silly from the meds, a very quick litany of food thoughts spewed from her mouth.......oh I want, two mcdonald cheeseburgers, no taco bell, no arby's, hardees oh I am so hungry. We settled on Denny's and proceeded to head out. She didn't eat, tried, but when it finally came down to it, she was still not fully up from everything. Off home to get her settled I was forced to leave her at home in the care of Jarod with explicit instructions to keep her down....don't let her do anything!!!!

Off to work I went, my mind switching gears and trying to figure out what order and items still need to be completed to get the servers moved. Moving servers is difficult, it's like unplugging a hugely sophisticated stereo system, throwing all the cables in a box, mixing them up a bit and then trying to resemble it all in its new home - remembering everything that had to be moved, components that need to be connected and testing it all to make it worked. Thankfully for myself I am organizer, it makes my brain be able to focus on getting the tasks done rather what needs to be done.

I arrived to my new recently moved office with my computer system running, files/supplies in boxes with construction workers all over the place. I tried to get going but damn, its pretty hard, already stressed, and trying to think when you have people working on ductwork over your head and full blown construction work happening all around you. Interrupted twice for them to work over my cube after just being there an hour, the many tasks that needed to be done, I and another choose to head out knowing we could better focus elsewhere. Back in the car again, by this time I have already put a good 100 miles on the car, stress building for the days events and worry about Kelsey.

What do I arrive to? My biggest fear, Kelsey is up and baking banana bread and doing laundry....where is Jarod, the boy was passed out. I allowed her to finish and ordered her back to bed where with my fussing out to her to stay down, she did. With a school meeting that evening, I got straight into getting everything setup for the server move, its an orchestration with trying to keep everyone on the same page and trying to account for everything that might go wrong, the move was to occur at 6pm. With my plan in hand to minimize downtime on the site, everyone notified, feeling satisfied I done what I could do, I left for the meeting .

Boring meeting, but necessary - school starts in a few weeks - Alex being a freshman, its required - course I was distracted the whole time hoping everything with the move was going smoothly and that we had covered all bases.

Meeting over, straight to my computer (its sick sometimes, I know this) I checked in with my developer who assists i - uh oh, trouble in paradise....plans had been changed without my knowledge, the result the site was down and that was a problem, ultimately my problem. Oh God, why do you do this to me, hey I am strong, but come on...give me a break here - a girl can only handle so much. Well, again, best laid plans and a change of plans it didn't happen that way. essentially by midnight everything was down on something that was completely out of my control, I would have to wait until morning to deal with ramifications and work on getting things fixed....Kelsey thankfully been following my instructions remained down for the rest of the day by 2am my mind slowly wound down enough to let me drop off into a fitful sleep....

No comments: