Sunday, July 22, 2007

It's Cheer Camp Time

Off to IU for a 4 day Cheer Camp for Alex. She will be a Freshman basketball cheerleader for the high school this year, cheerleading is all new to me. Thankfully, if she wanted to play soccer, basketball was the only squad she could tryout for, it keeps me warm! ;)

The girls left early in the morning, loading the buses was an interesting mass organized chaos children, luggage, huge coolers, bags of food all trying to get into 2 buses and one van. Off they went. There were several items, tryouts and the such through out the week the parents could attend, on a couple I would of like to have gone down, but by the time I put in all my hours at work (stress factor 9) and drive an almost 2 hours down to where she was, I just couldn't. It did provide Alex some private, bonding away time and of course fun. I know she missed me on Monday evening.


When Thursday came along, it was the parents responsibility to pick them up. Having taken a welcomed morning off of work, i rode down with a fellow parent for the days activities. We arrived at 9am with a gaggles of cheerleaders spread all over the center. Some practicing for the competition ahead of them, some hanging out and chatting and parents slowly filtering in and getting re-acquainted. After about an hour (and parents getting restless), the show began. Each squad was to compete in three different categories for camp trophies. I settled to sitting on the track (no bleachers) with a few of my favorite cheer moms to proceed to watch the festivities. Okay, I will admit it did get a little old when you have to wait for all the squads to go through their routines before having the opportunity to view your girls.

Alex is a flyer or the person who gets lifted up and in the older squads thrown into the air. Those who know Alex are saying 'well no duh!', for those who don't, she is very petite in stature and weight. This is both fun and scary for me to watch. She is trusting a bunch of girls to lift her by either both her ankles or just one and lift her above their heads. It takes practice, communication and trust on all their parts to ensure that Alex does not drop or get hurt. All the squads had some falters and Alex's was no exception. Don't ask me which routine this is, all I know Alex went to be lifted and some mis-communication ensued, bottom line, she bowed out and starting cheering. She didn't feel safe and good for her to understand this.

Will post a couple of videos & pics soon I took with my camera, you can see we are sitting on the track right along with the kids, oh my butt after hour 1. They won 1st place for their nicely executed Pom routine.

All Cheer Routines - Alex is one nearest camera on top!




A Few Pictures




Awards (finally) and now off to the dorm to get their stuff. We grabbed lunch and back home by noon. For me it was work, back to the stress of horribly tight deadlines and expectations with no support. I have not ever seen in my life the degradation of a company's culture than I have witnessed over the past year. I try to keep focused and get done what I can and need to, I ended up working late into the evening as always.

No comments: