Saturday, April 07, 2007

Keeneland and Snow?

Sensible shoes and dress were the words of the day. I took a day off to travel south for opening day of Keeneland and to enjoy some old friends. It's about a 3 hour drive and I arrived to a welcome of wine, cheese and cold weather. Cold weather, this is opening day of Keeneland, we are supposed to be in spring dresses, enjoying bright sunshine and a warm spring breeze.




What we got was overcast snow and cold. Fortunately for me, I left my ugly old Dickie's thermal jacket in the car, it wasn't pretty but it was warm. As we got into the track, laughing at ourselves, we began laughing at all the young girls forsaking their coats, dressed in high heels and slinky dresses all in the name of 'looking good'. Silly girls, they will learn on a day like this warm and 'sensible shoes' are the only way to go.


We all enjoyed the day catching up, betting the ponies, trying to stay warm and of course drinking. I managed to make a few good hits on some races leaving me pretty much even for the day....it's been to long ladies, we need to do this again when Keeneland opens in October, hopefully it will be a much prettier day.

I got home about 9 that night, I had places I should of been but tired and still recovering, I went to bed. This morning I woke to a text message that my daughter's would be arriving home today....guess I need to go grocery shopping - uh, it dawned on me Easter is tomorrow and I haven't done a thing!

No comments: